Skip to main content

Stories from Bagan- Part 1

My mum and I spent only a day in Bagan. It was my first time there and I wanted to make the most of it with the limited time we had. We arrived by flight in the morning. It was a very comfortable flight. I don't know what type of plane it was, but it flew low enough that I could make out farms below on the ground. I imagined farmers were just getting ready for their day.

Myanmar is a dusty place. Even from up in the skies it was evident the amount of soil degradation that was happening there. I could make out clouds of dust blowing about, rivers stained permanently brown, and the lack of tree cover. I suppose the hills are more forested, but the plains are little more than dust bowls. This was confirmed two days later when I travelled overland by train from Mandalay to Yangon.

I spent the hour lazily watching the turbines of the plane. It was almost meditative, setting a tone for my entry into Bagan. The descent into Nyaung U airport (Bagan's nearest airport) was spectacular. On one side were the distant hills of the Pegu range and on the other side was the red sun rising over Bagan's stupa covered plains. 

Even from up there, I could make out the distinct glittering tops of some pagodas. My first impressions of Bagan were of awe at the scenery from above and a feeling of shivery excitement that I was going to an ancient and deeply revered place.
The airport was small and we got through the security check quickly. Surprisingly, there were very few foreign tourists on the plane. Just mum, myself, and another couple. Everyone else were Burmese. We got off the tarmac and into the terminal in less than two minutes. We were ready to exit the airport in 10 minutes!

Just as we were leaving the airport, a lady, who looked like she worked there loudly chased after us and blocked our path. We were surprised and also nervous at this sudden intrusion. She gestured to the tourism counter and kept repeating "buy ticket, buy ticket" and  herded us to the counter. It dawned on me that she wanted us to purchase the entry ticket to Bagan. I was surprised at her rudeness and her constant sighs of annoyance as I fumbled with digging out my wallet from my backpack. Till then, I had found Burmese women to be very mild mannered and friendly. I was taken aback by her pushy rudeness. 

Once we bought our tickets and left the terminal, we were immediately accosted by taxi drivers offering to take us to our hotel. They were no friendlier than the airport lady. I was not keen on taking a taxi and would have preferred to take public transport, except there was no public transport available. So we settled on the least rude guy and he took us to our hotel.

It was a bumpy ride through dusty, meandering streets (not even roads). I would have been utterly unimpressed with the place had it not been for the occasional pagoda popping up. Irritated as I was with the bad encounters at the airport, something about the red sandstone structures gave me a sense of familiarity and restored my cheer. 

Our hotel was located in a quiet residential area of New Bagan. It was the sort of place I would find in the Indian rural side. The scene was utterly familiar, with the only difference being that the faces were Burmese instead of sun-brunt Indian. Chickens running about, scruffy street urchins running behind them, and curious women eyeing our taxi as it huffed and puffed through the narrow streets...If I just closed my eyes, I could imagine I was in some village in Tamil Nadu. 
A random roadside temple. I clicked this picture as our tuk-tuk jiggled through the roads of Bagan. Everywhere you turn, a pagoda. 

The hotel we stayed at, Morning Star Guest House, was surprisingly well-kept and comfortable. It was run by a Scottish man and his Burmese wife. They were very accommodating and friendly. They helped us find local transport options and even allowed me to ride their e-bikes (something I was embarrassingly bad at). The rooms were very comfortable and had personal touches I found surprising, such an insect repellent, a torch, bandaids. Most budget places don't have these things!

A quick breakfast at the hotel and we were off with our tuk tuk driver to explore Bagan. 

Read more about my day in the next post!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Street food and Markets in Yangon

Hot milk at a street stall Stalls selling Indian style meat and fish dishes are abundant Freshly made Naan in a Tandoor Piping hot Pooris Street food in Yangon is delicious and cheap. I stayed in the downtown area of Yangon. This area is cheaper and has more street food options than slightly more upscale neighbourhoods like Bahan or Dagon. A lot of hostels, money changers, and travel agents are also located in downtown Yangon. Apart from that, downtown Yangon is where you can see different ethnic groups living side by side. This area is old, dirty, and shabby but it is a fascinating place. The food in Burma is heavily influenced by Indian and Thai cuisine, and to some extent Chinese cuisine too. There is a good balance of meat dishes and also vegetarian food. I prefer to eat vegetarian as much as possible, especially while travelling. I had no trouble finding vegetarian food options in Myanmar. Anawrahta road, Latha township, and Strand Road are some popular p

Downtown Yangon- Yangon General Hospital

Yangon General Hospital Yangon has seen different people come and go. The British were here from the 1800s to 1948. They built this beautiful, grand building. Wherever the British went, they built majestic structures like this. Though the empire is no more, the buildings remain.  Why I went there is a long story. My wonderful mother, in all her maternal concern for me, was appalled at how ugly my acne had become. She insisted we go see a dermatologist right away. I wasn’t too keen on seeing one at Yangon. What if they make it worse? I know that was pretty arrogant of me! I was all for letting it be. It is after all, only acne. But my mother wouldn’t hear of it. Seeing a dermatologist was the first thing we did in Yangon. We asked the receptionist at our hotel if she knew any dermatologists.She probably didn’t understand fully what we were trying to say, but she did get the gist of it I suppose. She suggested a clinic called Eliza skin clinic. When we got there, we f

Shwedagon Pagoda

Location:   The Shwedagon Pagoda is located in the south of Yangon on the Singuttara Hill in Dagon Township. It is a huge complex and has four entrances. The most popular entrances are the southern and eastern entrances. All entrances except the eastern entrance have an elevator and an escalator. The Shwedagon Pagoda - As viewed from one of the many prayer pavillions The Shwedagon Pagoda is a popular tourist destination in Myanmar and also an important place of worship for Myanmar Buddhists. It forms an important part of Burmese culture, folklore, and identity. It is said to be over 2500 years old and is believed to house relics of the four Buddhas of the present aeon. It has witnessed the evolution of Myanmar over the centuries. From a historical perspective the Shwedagon Pagoda was most likely built by the Mon people around the 6th-10th centuries AD. Over the centuries, subsequent dynasties left their mark on the pagoda by rebuilding and expanding it. It received royal